Why the brass door knocker?
The brass doorknocker in Walden’s logo is used as a tribute to Southern hospitality and community relationships forged in World War II. Between 1942 and 1944, 16,000 soldiers in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers trained in bridge building at Camp Sutton in nearby Monroe, N.C. During training maneuvers, the troops fanned out over fields and woodlands owned by the Austin family in Indian Trail, land that’s now home to Walden and Austin Village.
Before they left Union County for duties elsewhere, a group of the soldiers melted artillery shells to cast a brass door knocker as a gift of appreciation to the Austin family for their hospitality. This symbol is a part of history and a part of who we are today. The original knocker still remains on the front porch door of the family farmhouse adjacent to the Walden property.